The Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (AUAS) is for the Aviation Academy currently looking for a
Assistant Professor Aviation Security & Technology (0,8 - 1,0 fte)
Bridge the gap between knowledge and real-world change
Who we are
At the Aviation Academy, our ambition is to provide the current and next generation of professionals with the skills they need to meet the international aviation challenges of the next 10 to 15 years. We do this by providing both education and research, working closely with commercial and academic partners across the globe. This emphasis on collaboration boosts our students’ professional and research skills by placing them in real-world aviation settings. Here, they can prepare themselves for their future aviation career while bringing about tangible change in the companies they work with. Our current programme focuses on a variety of specific research areas, and you can find a detailed description here.
What we look for
The Aviation Academy adapts quickly to developments in the real world, with specializations in Aviation Engineering and Operations. As a lecturer-researcher in Aviation Security & Technology, you will be responsible for the coordination and constant development of the Bachelor of Engineering (Operations) curriculum in the area of Aviation Security & Technology (S&T) and to ensure that S&T will fit in the overall focus of operations being the optimal and safe airport, airline and ATC operations. We do have an extensive S&T network within the aviation industry and it is It is our ambition to further develop our S&T activities beyond the current regular bachelor curriculum; i.e. lectures for professionals, applied research and further developing the international network perspective.
This position demands vision – vision in terms of educational and research ideas around Security and Technology, as well as vision in terms of reaching out to our partners and collaborators to make a real change. You will be responsible for the coordination, continuous improvement and constant development of the Bachelor of Engineering curriculum in the area of Aviation Security & Technology, as you teach classes and workshops and support students in their studies (there will also be room for teaching legal, operational or technical courses).
You will also make an active contribution to the field of aviation through applied research and the dissemination of knowledge. Simply put: you will strengthen the links between applied research, the educational programmes and our extensive industry network. In addition to academic and professional teaching, you will participate in and/or lead (inter)national research projects, compile and coordinate (international) research proposals, secure (international) grants, develop strategic partnerships with the industry and intensify the existing ones, (co)author scientific and professional publications, and represent the department at (inter)national events.
Who you are
As a successful applicant, you are proficient in English and have:
- experience in the development of national and international aviation security sectors;
- an affinity for legal and technical aspects of aviation security – from threats to solutions;
- more than five years of relevant professional experience working for an airport, airline, ANSP, aviation maintenance company, university, research institute or the government;
- your own professional security network within the aviation sector;
- a teaching endorsement (or the willingness to obtain one with our help);
- knowledge of relevant legislation and regulations, aviation management, the network development of airlines, airports, and process optimisation;
- communication and teamwork skills
- (Preferably) a PhD.
More specifically, you feel at home in a degree programme environment and can adapt to change easily as you:
- independently create course material, cases, and exams;
- educate professionals through Masterclasses;
- link us to industry partnerships;
- organize international conferences;
- translate developments in the professional field into teaching programs;
- further develop the degree program curriculum;
- demonstrate excellent teaching ability;
- supervise students in relation to their subject field;
- identify relevant developments in your subject field and in the areas of education and teaching;
- mentor students, and supervise their work placement and career.
What we offer
Depending on your specific qualifications and experience, the full-time position of Lecturer-Researcher 1 has a maximum salary of € 5564,23 gross per month (salary scale 12).
After the first year of employment, we offer the opportunity to be promoted to Associate Professor (salary scale 13) in which you will take on more responsibilities in research.
Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (AUAS) also has an extensive package of secondary employment benefits, including an 8% vacation allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.Our AUAS Academy offers outstanding study and development opportunities, and we encourage our employees to work continuously on their professional development.
We offer an initial contract for one year, to be extended depending on suitability, the number of permanent positions available at the university, and the influx of new students.
Find out more
Does this position sound like a good fit for your personal and professional qualities? If so, we would like to hear from you. You can find out more from our Aviation Program Manager Geert Boosten at +31 (0)6-2115 6169.
More information about our School of Technology is also available at hva.nl/techniek/.
This vacancy closes on 21st of April Please click on the link below to submit your online application.
We apply the AUAS Job Application Code to this vacancy’s recruitment and selection process.
No (recruitment) agencies please.